Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Hurricane Sandy experience.

I wanted to give you all a little update. 
First, thank you to the friends and family who have called and texted to make sure we were okay! 
It meant a lot to know you were thinking of us.

Let me take you on a little journey of my past couple of days.

Marshall's work canceled Sunday night for Monday and Tuesday. We were extremely lazy and slept in Monday. I was about to jump in the shower just in case it was my last hot shower for a while, when the fire alarm started to go off... 

Now, we get that a lot... it starts to sound, and then it goes off, but this time it didn't.... I texted my friend and she said "I smell smoke, get out".  So, being the freak I am, I grabbed my computer, camera, back up to my camera, a pair of contacts (I was wearing glasses), and... my retainers.

Luckily, we are on the 2nd floor and right next to the stairs because those stairs were full of people frantically running downstairs. When we got down there the fire trucks were already there and tons of people were huddled together under the covered landing trying to get away from the hurricane rain pouring down on us. 

We could see the smoke coming from the 4th floor, but the firemen were quick and got in and out and within 20 minutes we were back inside getting warm.

That was all before noon.

The rest of the afternoon we got ready for the storm. 

And then around 6:00 p.m., as we starting the new episode of The Walking Dead our cable and internet went out. 

And it's been out ever since.

I'm currently sitting in our apartment bar (yes, our apartment complex has a bar) stealing their internet.  The bar has a different provider and I just realized this... or else I would have been down here sooner! Rumor has it, it might be a while until it comes back.

I am extremely grateful that we have power and are safe. 
I'm just now able to see pictures of the destruction and I'm in awe. It's so sad. My prayers are with everyone affected. 

Internet and cable seem so little and stupid compared to what others are experiencing.
I'm alive and safe.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank God you're okay! My prayers are with you and your family.